New belts were purchased and the fan and upper pulley needed to be removed for the installation of the fan belts. As it happens the snowball effect kicked in and the leaky water pump was there all exposed asking to be removed and re-built.
Located a small shop with a lot of good reviews in Damascus Oregon about half an hour away that specializes in rebuilding pumps, including automotive water pumps. Rebuilt pumps are not sold by anybody that I could find. Cleaned up the water pump and took it down to them for a rebuild. $105 dollars later and about three days and I have a ready to go pump.
I took the opportunity to try some of the rust removing solutions I have been seeing online. Purchased some Rustoleum Rust Dissolver. I have to admit it worked quite well. About 45 minuets and a little wire brush work and the parts cleaned up quite well.
Fan and pulley before rust removal.
Water Pump before rust removal.
And after rust removal.
Might as well paint the parts while I have them cleaned up..... A low gloss black.....and a yellow.
The original engine color was yellow. You can still see some of the original paint in the photos. Closest yellow I could find locally is "Daytona Yellow". Original was a little more of a creamy color, but I think it will work for now.
Low gloss black
Daytona Yellow
Here's a image of the 239 Power King's original paint color.
All the parts painted, re-built, gaskets made and some new radiator hoses and it's all back together.
Let it run for awhile to warm up and check for leaks. Added some radiator rust remover to the water in the radiator and I will let it run for a few days and drain it out before filling it back up with new coolant.
Another video of it running after the pump was installed.
Tested the transmission a little. Moves forward and reverse works as well, that's good.
But no brakes. Guess that might be next.......

No comments:
Post a Comment